The ability to combine advanced neuroimaging techniques and genetic information will fundamentally change our understanding of the brain and how it functions in disease. By applying knowledge of genetic information, Imaging Genomics can be used to determine how individual differences in genes contribute to differences in brain structure and function.
Our research is at the interface of cognitive neuroscience and genetics.
The overall aim is to provide new knowledge and understanding of the neurobiological causes of major mental illnesses through the integration of structural and functional imaging, measures of cognition, health and well-being, and behavioural and molecular genetic approaches.
News and Events
Congratulations to Victoria O’Callaghan for her recent PhD submission!
- Yap, C.X., Henders, A.K., Alvares, G.A., … Gratten, J., 2021. Autism-related dietary preferences mediate autism-gut microbiome associations. Cell. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2021.10.015
O’Callaghan, V.S., Hansell, N.K., Guo, W., Carpenter, J.S., Shou, H., Strike, L.T., Crouse, J.J., McAloney, K., McMahon, K.L., Byrne, E.M., Burns, J.M., Martin, N.G., Hickie, I.B., Merikangas, K.R., Wright, M.J., 2021. Genetic and Environmental Influences on Sleep-Wake Behaviours in Adolescence. SLEEP Advances. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleepadvances/zpab018.
- van Eijk L, Zhu D, Couvy-Duchesne B, et al. Are Sex Differences in Human Brain Structure Associated With Sex Differences in Behavior? Psychological Science. July 2021. doi:10.1177/0956797621996664
- O’Callaghan VO, Couvy-Duchesne B, Strike LT, McMahon KL, Byrne EM, Wright MJ.
A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Subjective Sleep and Depressive Symptoms in Adolescence, Sleep Medicine, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2021.01.011
- van Eijk L, Hansell NK, Strike LT, et al. Region-specific sex differences in the hippocampus. Neuroimage. 2020;215:116781. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.116781
- Grasby KL, Jahanshad N, Painter JN, et al. The genetic architecture of the human cerebral cortex. Science. 2020;367(6484). doi:10.1126/science.aay6690
- Mitchell BL, Cuéllar-Partida G, Grasby KL, et al. Educational attainment polygenic scores are associated with cortical total surface area and regions important for language and memory. Neuroimage. 2020;212:116691. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.116691
- Writing Committee for the ENIGMA-CNV Working Group , van der Meer D, Sønderby IE, et al. Association of Copy Number Variation of the 15q11.2 BP1-BP2 Region With Cortical and Subcortical Morphology and Cognition [published online ahead of print, 2019 Oct 30]. JAMA Psychiatry. 2019;77(4):1-11. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2019.3779